New life for Into the Wild, and the cold shoulder for Atonement and Sweeney Todd. That they were both completely blanked makes me wonder if all the voting members got screeners. I don’t think is the death knell for either picture when it comes to the Oscars. But I am liking the Best Actor chances more and more for Viggo Mortensen. If Day-Lewis and Clooney are locks, with Depp the next choice, Mortensen stands a great chance of getting in come Oscar-time. I’m also glad they acknowledged Tommy Lee Jones for NCFOM, but disappointed they didn’t give a nod to Kelly MacDonald.
1. As rumored previously, Taymor’s ideal choices for the leads (Evan Rachel Wood and Jim Sturgess) participated in a workshop of the production back in October. Assume their casting is unofficially a done deal.
2. Not sure how I missed this previously, but the casting sides are on-line. Spoilers and massive weirdness after the jump:
The Yale Book of Quotations 2007 is out, with the quotes we will remember most from this fine year in history.
1. “Don’t tase me, bro” – Andrew Meyer, September 17th, University of Florida
2. “I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don’t have maps and I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and Iraq and everywhere like such as and I believe that they should our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa and should help Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future for us.” – Lauren Upton, August 19th, Miss Teen America Contest
3. “In Iran we don’t have homosexuals like in your country.” – Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, 24th September, Columbia University
4. “That’s some nappy-headed hos there” – Don Imus, April 4th, CBS Sports Radio
5. “I don’t recall.” — Alberto Gonzales, April 19th, Congressional hearing
6. “There’s only three things he (Republican presidential candidate and former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani) mentions in a sentence: a noun and a verb and 9/11.” — Joseph Biden, 30th October, Democratic party debate
7. “I’m not going to get into a name-calling match with somebody (Vice President Dick Cheney) who has a 9 percent approval rating.” — Harry Reid, April 24th, to the New York Times
8. “(I have) a wide stance when going to the bathroom.” — Larry Craig, June 11th, arrest report
9. “I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man.” — Joseph Biden on Barack Obama, February 21st, for the New York Observer
10. “I think as far as the adverse impact on the nation around the world, this administration has been the worst in history.” — Jimmy Carter, May 19th, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette