It’s that time of the year again! Because the old rules thread for last year’s AGEBOC is filled with info that is not exactly pertinent anymore, I’ll repost most of the info and rules that is pertinent this year, so we can link to this one every week instead. Plus references to some extra stuff, like the bonus questions that James introduced last fall, and this awesome logo that James’ buddy Brad did for us.
Also it’s good to have a thread where people can go “Nick, you lazy/forgetful [BLEEP], you forgot [insert whatever Nick forgot here].”
– Forgot to link to the GEBOC.
Rules of the Advanced Gone Elsewhere Box-Office Challenge (aka the AGEBOC)
READ BEFORE POSTING!
The rules are as follows:
Monday Tuesday an AGEBOC thread for the upcoming weekend will be posted. Your predictions for the coming weekend must be posted in the specific AGEBOC thread for that weekend.
– You predict the number one film in the US for the weekend (Friday to Sunday) along with the amount you believe it will make. Wednesday and Thursday earnings will not be tallied (remember to subtract!).
– The one who gets closest to the final amount gets 4 points. Second runner-up gets 2 points. If it is a tie they each get 3 points (if it is a three-way, 2 points, etc.).
– If a player makes a correct prediction of a film’s box-office take for the weekend within half a million, whether or not the film is #1, the player will be awarded 2 extra points, provided that the movie finishes in the top 3.
– There will be two bonus questions for every week. Each right answer yields an extra half point. What the bonus questions will be is up to whoever runs AGEBOC at the time, but they must be pertinent to the weekend in question, preferably not subjective and related to box-office prediction. Suggestions for future bonus questions are always welcome.
– Deadline for predictions for the coming weekend is midnight 11:59pm the day before the weekend’s wide releases are, well, released. So typically if the week’s wide releases come out on a Friday, then it’s Thursday 11:59. On the other hand, if it’s on a Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday, then perhaps the deadline will be the same day 11:59pm, depending on how large the movie or movies are expected to be.
– Before the deadline has passed you must post your prediction in the specific AGEBOC thread for that weekend.
– If you wish to change your prediction, you must post a new comment in that week’s thread.
– No changes to your prediction after deadline has passed is allowed to be made. Cheaters who are caught will be punished by a subtraction of 4 points.
– The timeline of the Advanced Gone Elsewhere Box-Office Challenge will be, unless otherwise agreed, from the first large opening in May until the same weekend or the one before Labor Day.
– A player may join whenever he or she wishes, but if the player misses out on one or more weekends or deadlines no comfort points will be awarded just to make the player feel better.
Good luck everyone!